Wednesday, May 30, 2007

More enchiladas

I was experimenting a couple of weeks ago and made a New Enchilada recipe.
(Well, a variant on previous enchilada recipes.)



Here is what I did.
First, I made potroast by taking about two pounds of nice roast and browning it on both sides in my dutch oven, using a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.
Then I cut up about 4 onions and added 2 cloves of crushed garlic, one clove spread over each side of the potroast meat while searing.
I baked this in a 325 oven for 90 minutes.
Then I peeled and quartered about 5 carrots and 5 potatoes,
added them to the dutch oven,
and baked the whole thing for another 90 minutes.
I did not add water or flour.
There was plenty of pot liquor from the vegetables.
Flour would have been nice to thicken the juice for gravy, but I didn't want to be scraping cold gravy off the leftover potroast.

I packaged up the vegetables and just a teeny serving of potroast apiece into separate lunch containers.
Then I refrigerated the rest of the potroast hunk (which I shouldn't have done; I should have shredded it while it was still warm, it would have been easier, but cold potroast can be shredded- it just takes more effort.)

To assemble my enchiladas, I pulled out my potroast and shredded it.
Then I took a pound of Monterey Jack and shredded it.
I got a bag of Rita's flour tortillas from the freezer and thawed them,
and also thawed out a 16 oz container of New Mexican chopped mild green chile.
I got a 24 oz container of light sour cream and a family size can of cream of mushroom soup, mixed together with half the chiles for the sauce.

Then I got out my pans. I ended up using one 9x13 stoneware and one 8x8 glass.
If using stoneware, I highly recommend putting down a couple of glopping spoonfuls of sauce and spreading it on the bottom of the pan before you put the enchiladas down.
I did not do this, and in the stoneware pan especially, the bottoms of the enchiladas turned out a bit crispy.

A small handful of beef and an equal amount of shredded cheese, topped with a heaping tablespoon of green chile, fills up each tortilla nicely.

Top with the sauce and some handfuls of leftover cheese.

Bake, covered, at 350 or maybe even 325 (I did mine at 375 and it was a little too high; contributed to the crunchiness at the bottom.)

However, the bits of crisp were only minor flaws. They were wonderful enchiladas!
Emily, Dad and Mom all came over to dinner that night, and they really enjoyed the tangy blend of (lots of) sour cream with green chile!

No comments: