Monday, February 14, 2011

Taking Sophie to the Ballet


Here is Sophie in the theater.
She is such a pretty little girl that I find her "camera face" especially annoying--
try as I might, I cannot persuade her not to make these grimaces
(she thinks she's smiling).
So I do better catching candids, if I can.

I rather like the next one.
It reveals a lot of Sophie's character.
The idea was, I took her early to the ballet "Cinderella" playing this last weekend at BYU, and an hour before the performance the ballet cast was in the lobby in costume, ready to greet little girls dressed as princesses (and boys dressed as princes-- I even saw one or two of these, though of course there were far, far more girls.)
I thought Sophie would like to see the pretty ballerina costumes and might agree to have her picture taken with Cinderella or the Fairy Godmother-- all the other little girls were queuing up eagerly.
Not Sophie.
She was too shy. She didn't want to talk to the ballerinas at all, let alone have her picture taken.
So I stopped coaxing and let her sit at the far end of the lobby and eat her jelly beans,
which were her choice of treat from the BYU bookstore candy counter, and which, as you can see, are far more interesting to her than ballerinas.



Sophie did consent to let a kindly fellow-ballet-goer take this picture of the two of us:



No comments: