Thursday, September 20, 2007

Peaches, Pie Crust and Procrastination

I have a low-grade headache today and so in order to avoid working on my book, I decided that what I really wanted to do was to make something delicious with the last of my summer peaches.
Since my pie crust recipe makes 3 single crusts, I decided to make a peach pie, a galette, and freeze the remaining crust.
The galette is super-easy.
Roll out 1 single pie crust worth of dough into a rough circle shape, big enough to fit the entire surface of a large round Pampered Chef baking stone.
Peel and slice 2-3 peaches, placing fruit within 2" of the crust edge.
Sprinkle liberally with sugar (about 2 T) and dot with butter.
Fold the crust over to half-cover the fruit.
Joy says to brush the edges with milk but I sometimes ignore that step.
Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
YUM!



The peach pie is an old favorite: crust baked blind filled with vanilla custard cream, chilled, and topped with fresh sliced peaches.
(This photo is from a family picnic at Uncle Walter's birthday last year- my current peach pie is chilling in the fridge, awaiting its crowning fruit. This time I used my deep dish pie pan and put peaches in the bottom and then custard on top. We'll have to see how that turns out, as the custard goes in warm, and may cook the peaches a bit.)

1 comment:

Birrd said...

Ooh Crocky, that looks scrumptious!