Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sunday Dinner


With the weather so cold, I enjoy making stews and meat dishes more. This dish, Baeckhoffe, is a traditional Alsatian dish that I learned to make from visits to France. It takes a long time to cook, but the actual preparing is quite minimal (in fact, it is the nineteenth-century version of a crock pot meal.)
Recipe: take one large earthenware or glass baking dish with a lid (I use my traditional terrine that I bought in Strasbourg)
add 2-4 pounds of meat cut into fist-size chunks (I usually pick out a small beef pot roast and 3 or 4 thick cut boneless pork slices, and cut them up for this)
marinate them overnight (the traditional marinade is Riesling)
chop up 3-4 onions and add them to the meat
bake meat and onions, covered, in a 325 F oven for about 2 hours
peel and chop into large chunks: 4-5 big carrots, 3-6 potatoes
add the vegetables and cook one hour longer, until they are tender
It makes good leftovers, too!


Wonderful Sunday dinner!

No comments: